APIs for importing locations
9th March 2021
Originally posted to my internal blog at VaccinateCA
An important aspect of the new backend is the ability to import new locations.
These can come from a bunch of different sources. I’ve previously written Django management command scripts for this, but these are fiddly to run from a permissions perspective and don’t necessarily play well with Cloud Run.
So I decided to build an
/api/importLocations API. This can take a single or multiple locations, and can either create new locations or update existing locations based on a provided unique import reference (
The API is documented in full here: https://github.com/CAVaccineInventory/django.vaccinate/blob/f78afbd1e5bbba4ddc4722c9a592dfd004cb143e/docs/api.md#post-apiimportlocations
You can see how it developed in issue 98
As part of building this API I needed a simple authentication mechanism. I’ve added a Django admin page for creating API keys, with a required description field. This can be used to create an API key for use with the new API.
This mechanism differs from the JWT tokens used by the caller app API, mainly because API tokens used for import scripts need to not expire—and also don’t need to be tied to specific users.
A few more APIs
Some of the fields that can be passed to the import location API need to accept values from a specific list:
provider_type all have this requirement.
I added APIs that return valid values for these:
More recent articles
- Datasette Enrichments: a new plugin framework for augmenting your data - 1st December 2023
- llamafile is the new best way to run a LLM on your own computer - 29th November 2023
- Prompt injection explained, November 2023 edition - 27th November 2023
- I'm on the Newsroom Robots podcast, with thoughts on the OpenAI board - 25th November 2023
- Weeknotes: DevDay, GitHub Universe, OpenAI chaos - 22nd November 2023
- Deciphering clues in a news article to understand how it was reported - 22nd November 2023
- Exploring GPTs: ChatGPT in a trench coat? - 15th November 2023
- Financial sustainability for open source projects at GitHub Universe - 10th November 2023
- ospeak: a CLI tool for speaking text in the terminal via OpenAI - 7th November 2023
- DALL-E 3, GPT4All, PMTiles, sqlite-migrate, datasette-edit-schema - 30th October 2023