Where can I find an updated DB of countries, states and cities?
13th June 2013
My answer to Where can I find an updated DB of countries, states and cities? on Quora
This is a surprisingly complicated question. The first thing you might want to ask yourself is “what’s a country”—how do you deal with places on this List of states with limited recognition for example?
That said, data sets do exist that can help you with this. I’m a big fan of Yahoo!’s GeoPlanet dataset, which represents places around the world as a hierarchy. We use it as the basis for the geo features of our site Lanyrd—take a look at the breadcrumbs on Conferences in London | Conferences & Events | Lanyrd for example.
Yahoo! used to make a full dump of the GeoPlanet database available at Yahoo! GeoPlanet—YDN but they no longer publish it. However, there are copies of their old releases available on the Internet Archive: Internet Archive Search: geoplanet
More recent articles
- Datasette Enrichments: a new plugin framework for augmenting your data - 1st December 2023
- llamafile is the new best way to run a LLM on your own computer - 29th November 2023
- Prompt injection explained, November 2023 edition - 27th November 2023
- I'm on the Newsroom Robots podcast, with thoughts on the OpenAI board - 25th November 2023
- Weeknotes: DevDay, GitHub Universe, OpenAI chaos - 22nd November 2023
- Deciphering clues in a news article to understand how it was reported - 22nd November 2023
- Exploring GPTs: ChatGPT in a trench coat? - 15th November 2023
- Financial sustainability for open source projects at GitHub Universe - 10th November 2023
- ospeak: a CLI tool for speaking text in the terminal via OpenAI - 7th November 2023
- DALL-E 3, GPT4All, PMTiles, sqlite-migrate, datasette-edit-schema - 30th October 2023