Django People: OpenID and microformats
24th January 2008
In hindsight, it was a mistake to launch Django People without support for OpenID. It was on the original feature list, but in the end I decided to cut any feature that wasn’t completely essential in order to get the site launched before it drowned in an ocean of “wouldn’t-it-be-cool-ifs”.
I thought that, once launched, the site would see a small amount of activity from a few interested parties and I’d have plenty of time to catch up on the feature backlog. What I didn’t expect was that over 750 people would create profiles within the first 24 hours!
So, I spent a few hours this evening integrating my current development version of django-openid, which thankfully had about 80% of the code needed to integrate with Django’s built-in authentication mechanism already written. Sadly the other 20% is either incomplete or a bit of a mess, but I’ve checked it in to a branch on Google Code for anyone who’s interested.
Anyway, there are a few new features on the site of interest to OpenID users:
- When signing up for a new account, you now have the option to start by signing in with an OpenID. If you do this, you’ll be able to complete the signup form without having to pick a password. If your OpenID provider supports simple registration the name, e-mail address and username fields will be filled in for you.
- If you already have an existing account, you can associate one or more OpenIDs with that account. You’ll then be able to use any of them to sign in to the account. Why multiple OpenIDs instead of just one? Two reasons: firstly, it opens the potential for doing interesting things with multiple OpenIDs from different providers in the future; secondly, it gives you a fallback for if one of your OpenID providers becomes unavailable.
- You can freely add and remove OpenIDs from your associations, with one exception: the site won’t let you delete your last OpenID if your account doesn’t also have a password associated with it, to prevent you from locking yourself out.
- While I decided that I didn’t want Django People to become yet another OpenID provider, I do want to give people the ability to use their profile page on the site as an OpenID—so that they can prove that they own it (see my recent post on identity projection). To that end, the new account settings page lets advanced OpenID users set up an
openid.delegatefor their profile page, as described in my blog entry from just over a year ago.
One caveat: the site only supports OpenID 1.1, at least for the moment. I had originally planned to go for OpenID 2.0, but demand was such that I decided to get what I had up and running rather than digging in to the OpenID 2.0 libraries.
While I was messing around with OpenID, Natalie was updating the site’s templates to clean up the crufty code I’d introduced and add some microformatted goodness. The site now uses hCard where you would expect it (country listing pages, skill listing pages and the new search interface) and the profile pages have been updated with a healthy dose of XFN (just rel=“me”, since there isn’t a relevant microformat for “people who live nearby”) and Rel-Tag. On Jeremy Keith’s suggestion, the profile pages also use hResume—all the more reason to add the Django projects you’ve worked on to your profile’s portfolio.
As usual, post feedback and bug reports as comments on this entry.
More recent articles
- Weeknotes: datasette-enrichments, datasette-comments, sqlite-chronicle - 8th December 2023
- Datasette Enrichments: a new plugin framework for augmenting your data - 1st December 2023
- llamafile is the new best way to run a LLM on your own computer - 29th November 2023
- Prompt injection explained, November 2023 edition - 27th November 2023
- I'm on the Newsroom Robots podcast, with thoughts on the OpenAI board - 25th November 2023
- Weeknotes: DevDay, GitHub Universe, OpenAI chaos - 22nd November 2023
- Deciphering clues in a news article to understand how it was reported - 22nd November 2023
- Exploring GPTs: ChatGPT in a trench coat? - 15th November 2023
- Financial sustainability for open source projects at GitHub Universe - 10th November 2023
- ospeak: a CLI tool for speaking text in the terminal via OpenAI - 7th November 2023