Introducing MPT-7B: A New Standard for Open-Source, Commercially Usable LLMs (via) There’s a lot to absorb about this one. Mosaic trained this model from scratch on 1 trillion tokens, at a cost of $200,000 taking 9.5 days. It’s Apache-2.0 licensed and the model weights are available today.
They’re accompanying the base model with an instruction-tuned model called MPT-7B-Instruct (licensed for commercial use) and a non-commercially licensed MPT-7B-Chat trained using OpenAI data. They also announced MPT-7B-StoryWriter-65k+—“a model designed to read and write stories with super long context lengths”—with a previously unheard of 65,000 token context length.
They’re releasing these models mainly to demonstrate how inexpensive and powerful their custom model training service is. It’s a very convincing demo!
- Weeknotes: datasette-enrichments, datasette-comments, sqlite-chronicle - 8th December 2023
- Datasette Enrichments: a new plugin framework for augmenting your data - 1st December 2023
- llamafile is the new best way to run a LLM on your own computer - 29th November 2023
- Prompt injection explained, November 2023 edition - 27th November 2023
- I'm on the Newsroom Robots podcast, with thoughts on the OpenAI board - 25th November 2023
- Weeknotes: DevDay, GitHub Universe, OpenAI chaos - 22nd November 2023