Introducing MPT-7B: A New Standard for Open-Source, Commercially Usable LLMs (via) There’s a lot to absorb about this one. Mosaic trained this model from scratch on 1 trillion tokens, at a cost of $200,000 taking 9.5 days. It’s Apache-2.0 licensed and the model weights are available today.
They’re accompanying the base model with an instruction-tuned model called MPT-7B-Instruct (licensed for commercial use) and a non-commercially licensed MPT-7B-Chat trained using OpenAI data. They also announced MPT-7B-StoryWriter-65k+—“a model designed to read and write stories with super long context lengths”—with a previously unheard of 65,000 token context length.
They’re releasing these models mainly to demonstrate how inexpensive and powerful their custom model training service is. It’s a very convincing demo!
- ChatGPT should include inline tips - 30th May 2023
- Lawyer cites fake cases invented by ChatGPT, judge is not amused - 27th May 2023
- llm, ttok and strip-tags - CLI tools for working with ChatGPT and other LLMs - 18th May 2023
- Delimiters won't save you from prompt injection - 11th May 2023
- Weeknotes: sqlite-utils 3.31, download-esm, Python in a sandbox - 10th May 2023
- Leaked Google document: "We Have No Moat, And Neither Does OpenAI" - 4th May 2023