Querying Postgres Tables Directly From DuckDB (via) I learned a lot of interesting PostgreSQL tricks from this write-up of the new DuckDB feature that allows it to run queries against PostgreSQL servers directly. It works using COPY (SELECT ...) TO STDOUT (FORMAT binary) which writes rows to the protocol stream in efficient binary format, but splits the table being read into parallel fetches against page ranges and uses SET TRANSACTION SNAPSHOT ... in those parallel queries to ensure they see the same transactional snapshot of the database.
- AI-enhanced development makes me more ambitious with my projects - 27th March 2023
- I built a ChatGPT plugin to answer questions about data hosted in Datasette - 24th March 2023
- Weeknotes: AI won't slow down, a new newsletter and a huge Datasette refactor - 22nd March 2023
- Don't trust AI to talk accurately about itself: Bard wasn't trained on Gmail - 22nd March 2023
- A conversation about prompt engineering with CBC Day 6 - 18th March 2023
- Could you train a ChatGPT-beating model for $85,000 and run it in a browser? - 17th March 2023