Querying Postgres Tables Directly From DuckDB (via) I learned a lot of interesting PostgreSQL tricks from this write-up of the new DuckDB feature that allows it to run queries against PostgreSQL servers directly. It works using COPY (SELECT ...) TO STDOUT (FORMAT binary) which writes rows to the protocol stream in efficient binary format, but splits the table being read into parallel fetches against page ranges and uses SET TRANSACTION SNAPSHOT ... in those parallel queries to ensure they see the same transactional snapshot of the database.
- Weeknotes: the Datasette Cloud API, a podcast appearance and more - 1st October 2023
- Things I've learned about building CLI tools in Python - 30th September 2023
- Talking Large Language Models with Rooftop Ruby - 29th September 2023
- Weeknotes: Embeddings, more embeddings and Datasette Cloud - 17th September 2023
- Build an image search engine with llm-clip, chat with models with llm chat - 12th September 2023
- LLM now provides tools for working with embeddings - 4th September 2023