Weeknotes: Datasette Cloud ready to preview
7th June 2022
I made an absolute ton of progress building Datasette Cloud on Fly this week, and also had a bunch of fun playing with GPT-3.
Datasette Cloud is my upcoming hosted SaaS version of Datasette. I’ve been re-building my initial alpha on top of Fly because I want to be able to provide each team account with their own Datasette instance running in a dedicated Firecracker container, and the recently announced Fly Machines lets me do exactly that.
As-of this weekend I have all of the different pieces in place, and I’m starting to preview it to potential customers.
Interested in trying it out? You can request access to the preview here.
Most of my GPT-3 explorations over the past week are covered by these two blog posts:
- A Datasette tutorial written by GPT-3 is the point at which I really started taking GPT-3 seriously, after convincing myself that I could use it to help with real work, not just as a form of entertainment.
- How to play with the GPT-3 language model is a very quick getting started tutorial, because I polled people on Twitter and found that more than half didn’t know you could try GPT-3 out now for free.
Searching my tweets for GPT captures a bunch of other, smaller experiments. A few highlights:
- How to safely run two processes in one Docker container
- “Write a book outline about Datasette in Spanish”
- Getting GPT-3 to write yes-and improv scripts
- Generating and then explaining complex ffmpeg recipes
Releases this week
datasette-upload-csvs: 0.7—(8 releases total)—2022-06-03
Datasette plugin for uploading CSV files and converting them to database tables
Load email from .mbox files into SQLite
datasette-graphql: 2.0.2—(34 releases total)—2022-05-30
Datasette plugin providing an automatic GraphQL API for your SQLite databases
datasette-auth-existing-cookies: 1.0a1—(12 releases total)—2022-05-29
Datasette plugin that authenticates users based on existing domain cookies
TIL this week
More recent articles
- Interesting ideas in Observable Framework - 3rd March 2024
- Weeknotes: Getting ready for NICAR - 27th February 2024
- The killer app of Gemini Pro 1.5 is video - 21st February 2024
- Weeknotes: a Datasette release, an LLM release and a bunch of new plugins - 9th February 2024
- LLM 0.13: The annotated release notes - 26th January 2024
- Weeknotes: datasette-test, datasette-build, PSF board retreat - 21st January 2024
- Talking about Open Source LLMs on Oxide and Friends - 17th January 2024
- Publish Python packages to PyPI with a python-lib cookiecutter template and GitHub Actions - 16th January 2024
- What I should have said about the term Artificial Intelligence - 9th January 2024