Did Mark Zuckerberg have any knowledge on building scalable social networks prior to starting work on Facebook?
My answer to Did Mark Zuckerberg have any knowledge on building scalable social networks prior to starting work on Facebook? on Quora
I’m going to bet he didn’t have this knowledge, simply because back when he launched Facebook in 2004 almost NO ONE had this knowledge—there simply weren’t enough “web scale” products around for the patterns needed to run them to be widely discussed.
Today we’re spoiled by the enormous amount of shared experience we have as a community in building large scalable systems, but back then it really was a case of each large scale site figuring everything out for themselves.
I bet he picked it up pretty fast though... nothing forces you to learn to scale faster than the experience of having your site stop working because too many people want to use it at the same time!
More recent articles
- Weeknotes: Parquet in Datasette Lite, various talks, more LLM hacking - 4th June 2023
- It's infuriatingly hard to understand how closed models train on their input - 4th June 2023
- ChatGPT should include inline tips - 30th May 2023
- Lawyer cites fake cases invented by ChatGPT, judge is not amused - 27th May 2023
- llm, ttok and strip-tags - CLI tools for working with ChatGPT and other LLMs - 18th May 2023
- Delimiters won't save you from prompt injection - 11th May 2023
- Weeknotes: sqlite-utils 3.31, download-esm, Python in a sandbox - 10th May 2023
- Leaked Google document: "We Have No Moat, And Neither Does OpenAI" - 4th May 2023
- Midjourney 5.1 - 4th May 2023
- Prompt injection explained, with video, slides, and a transcript - 2nd May 2023