Some questions about the “blocking” of HTML5
- When people say that the publication of HTML5 “blocked” by Larry Masinter’s “formal objection”, what exactly do they mean?
- Why does the private w3c-archive mailing list exist? Why can’t anyone reveal what happens on there? What are the consequences for doing so? Who gets to be on that list in the first place?
- Can anyone raise a “formal objection”?
- Is anyone calling for the HTML Working Group to be “rechartered”? If so, what does that involve?
- If there are concerns about the inclusion of Canvas 2D in the specification, why were these not resolved earlier?
Some background reading. I was planning to fill in answers as they arrive, but I screwed up the moderation of the comments and got flooded with detailed responses—I strongly recommend reading the comments.