All the Hard Stuff Nobody Talks About when Building Products with LLMs (via) Phillip Carter shares lessons learned building LLM features for Honeycomb—hard won knowledge from building a query assistant for turning human questions into Honeycomb query filters.
This is very entertainingly written. “Use Embeddings and pray to the dot product gods that whatever distance function you use to pluck a relevant subset out of the embedding is actually relevant”.
Few-shot prompting with examples had the best results out of the approaches they tried.
The section on how they’re dealing with the threat of prompt injection—“The output of our LLM call is non-destructive and undoable, No human gets paged based on the output of our LLM call...” is particularly smart.
- Weeknotes: Embeddings, more embeddings and Datasette Cloud - 17th September 2023
- Build an image search engine with llm-clip, chat with models with llm chat - 12th September 2023
- LLM now provides tools for working with embeddings - 4th September 2023
- Datasette 1.0a4 and 1.0a5, plus weeknotes - 30th August 2023
- Making Large Language Models work for you - 27th August 2023
- Datasette Cloud, Datasette 1.0a3, llm-mlc and more - 16th August 2023