Writing a chat application in Django 4.2 using async StreamingHttpResponse, Server-Sent Events and PostgreSQL LISTEN/NOTIFY (via) Excellent tutorial by Víðir Valberg Guðmundsson on implementing chat with server-sent events using the newly async-capable StreamingHttpResponse from Django 4.2x.
He uses PostgreSQL’a LISTEN/NOTIFY mechanism which can be used asynchronously in psycopg3—at the cost of a separate connection per user of the chat.
The article also covers how to use the Last-Event-ID header to implement reconnections in server-sent events, transmitting any events that may have been missed during the time that the connection was dropped.
- Weeknotes: datasette-enrichments, datasette-comments, sqlite-chronicle - 8th December 2023
- Datasette Enrichments: a new plugin framework for augmenting your data - 1st December 2023
- llamafile is the new best way to run a LLM on your own computer - 29th November 2023
- Prompt injection explained, November 2023 edition - 27th November 2023
- I'm on the Newsroom Robots podcast, with thoughts on the OpenAI board - 25th November 2023
- Weeknotes: DevDay, GitHub Universe, OpenAI chaos - 22nd November 2023