Last weeknotes of 2023
31st December 2023
I’ve slowed down for that last week of the year. Here’s a wrap-up for everything else from the month of December.
Alex Garcia released this new plugin for Datasette as part of our collaboration around Datasette Cloud. He introduced it on the Datasette Cloud blog: datasette-plot—a new Datasette Plugin for building data visualizations.
On the blog
- Recommendations to help mitigate prompt injection: limit the blast radius, extracted from a podcast episode I recorded with Kate Holterhoff for RedMonk Conversations.
- Many options for running Mistral models in your terminal using LLM, demonstrating how LLM’s plugins system has really started to pay off.
- The AI trust crisis talking about how Dropbox learned the hard way that people are extremely sensitive to any uncertainty about whether or not their data is being used to train a model.
Most of these are minor bug fixes. A few of the more interesting highlights:
- Django SQL Dashboard now provides a read-only JSON API for saved dashboards. This makes it really easy to spin up a quick ad-hoc AI for data in a Django PostgreSQL database.
- The sqlite-utils-shell plugin now supports the
--load-extensionoption—I added this to let it be used with Steampipe extensions.
- My ospeak tool for running text-to-speech on the command-line now supports
-m tts-1-hdfor higher quality output, thanks to a PR from Mikolaj Holysz.
llm-llama-cpp now supports a
llm -m gguf -o path una-cybertron-7b-v2-bf16.Q8_0.ggufoption, making it much easier to quickly try out a new model distributed as a GGUF file.
Here’s the full list of releases:
Datasette plugin that adds a custom SQL function for haversine distances
An open source multi-tool for exploring and publishing data
Interactive shell for sqlite-utils
Django app for building dashboards using raw SQL queries
LLM plugin providing access to Mistral models busing the Mistral API
Configure Datasette to block operations using the SQLIte set_authorizer mechanism
LLM plugin for models hosted by Anyscale Endpoints
LLM plugin to access Google’s Gemini family of models
CLI tool for running text through OpenAI Text to speech
Save data from GitHub to a SQLite database
LLM plugin for running models using llama.cpp
Enable sqlite-chronicle against tables in Datasette
More recent articles
- The killer app of Gemini Pro 1.5 is video - 21st February 2024
- Weeknotes: a Datasette release, an LLM release and a bunch of new plugins - 9th February 2024
- LLM 0.13: The annotated release notes - 26th January 2024
- Weeknotes: datasette-test, datasette-build, PSF board retreat - 21st January 2024
- Talking about Open Source LLMs on Oxide and Friends - 17th January 2024
- Publish Python packages to PyPI with a python-lib cookiecutter template and GitHub Actions - 16th January 2024
- What I should have said about the term Artificial Intelligence - 9th January 2024
- Weeknotes: Page caching and custom templates for Datasette Cloud - 7th January 2024
- It's OK to call it Artificial Intelligence - 7th January 2024