Lessons from 6 software rewrite stories (via) Herb Caudill takes on the classic idea that rewriting from scratch is “the single worst strategic mistake that any software company can make” and investigates it through the lens of six well-chosen examples: Netscape 6, Basecamp Classic/2/3, Visual Studio/VS Code, Gmail/Inbox, FogBugz/Wasabi/Trello, and finally FreshBooks/BillSpring. Each story has details I had never heard before, and the lessons and conclusions are deeply insightful.
- Datasette Enrichments: a new plugin framework for augmenting your data - 1st December 2023
- llamafile is the new best way to run a LLM on your own computer - 29th November 2023
- Prompt injection explained, November 2023 edition - 27th November 2023
- I'm on the Newsroom Robots podcast, with thoughts on the OpenAI board - 25th November 2023
- Weeknotes: DevDay, GitHub Universe, OpenAI chaos - 22nd November 2023
- Deciphering clues in a news article to understand how it was reported - 22nd November 2023