Himalayan Database: From Visual FoxPro GUI to JSON API with Datasette (via) The Himalayan Database is a compilation of records for all expeditions that have climbed in the Nepalese Himalaya, originally compiled by journalist Elizabeth Hawley over several decades. The database is published as a Visual FoxPro database—here Raffaele Messuti provides step-by-step instructions for extracting the data from the published archive, converting them to CSV using dbfcsv and then converting the CSVs to SQLite using csvs-to-sqlite so you can browse them using Datasette.
- Interesting ideas in Observable Framework - 3rd March 2024
- Weeknotes: Getting ready for NICAR - 27th February 2024
- The killer app of Gemini Pro 1.5 is video - 21st February 2024
- Weeknotes: a Datasette release, an LLM release and a bunch of new plugins - 9th February 2024
- LLM 0.13: The annotated release notes - 26th January 2024