Why is it important to expand/upgrade my professional network?
24th October 2013
My answer to Why is it important to expand/upgrade my professional network? on Quora
There are plenty of reasons, but the most obvious is for finding a better job. Next time you are job hunting having a high quality, wide ranging network can make a huge difference.
You might not find a job directly with one of your contacts, but they are very likely to know someone else who has need of your skills. The more high quality relationships you have, the better the chance someone will hear of something relevant to you.
Some of the best jobs aren’t advertised anywhere, and are only filled by word if mouth recommendations. That’s where your network comes in.
There are plenty of other benefits (building your skills, hearing about interesting events, making business connections) but the job hunting advantage affects everyone, no matter what your line of work is.
More recent articles
- llamafile is the new best way to run a LLM on your own computer - 29th November 2023
- Prompt injection explained, November 2023 edition - 27th November 2023
- I'm on the Newsroom Robots podcast, with thoughts on the OpenAI board - 25th November 2023
- Weeknotes: DevDay, GitHub Universe, OpenAI chaos - 22nd November 2023
- Deciphering clues in a news article to understand how it was reported - 22nd November 2023
- Exploring GPTs: ChatGPT in a trench coat? - 15th November 2023
- Financial sustainability for open source projects at GitHub Universe - 10th November 2023
- ospeak: a CLI tool for speaking text in the terminal via OpenAI - 7th November 2023
- DALL-E 3, GPT4All, PMTiles, sqlite-migrate, datasette-edit-schema - 30th October 2023
- Now add a walrus: Prompt engineering in DALL-E 3 - 26th October 2023