If a startup has raised 10M, how much is it worth?
21st November 2013
My answer to If a startup has raised 10M, how much is it worth? on Quora
That depends on how much equity they sold for that $10 million.
If they sold a 20% stake in their company for $10 million, their company’s post-money valuation is $60 million.
Why $60m? Because they sold 20% of the company for $10m, indicating that 100% of the company is worth $50m (this is called their pre-money valuation). BUT... they also get to add that $10m in cash they just raised to their balance sheet, so the total valuation of the company (the post-money valuation) is $60m.
Often when a company raises money they will announce the amount raised but NOT the new valuation—this is particularly common with early-stage startups. You can’t figure out the valuation from the amount they raised on its own.
More recent articles
- Weeknotes: Embeddings, more embeddings and Datasette Cloud - 17th September 2023
- Build an image search engine with llm-clip, chat with models with llm chat - 12th September 2023
- LLM now provides tools for working with embeddings - 4th September 2023
- Datasette 1.0a4 and 1.0a5, plus weeknotes - 30th August 2023
- Making Large Language Models work for you - 27th August 2023
- Datasette Cloud, Datasette 1.0a3, llm-mlc and more - 16th August 2023
- How I make annotated presentations - 6th August 2023
- Weeknotes: Plugins for LLM, sqlite-utils and Datasette - 5th August 2023
- Catching up on the weird world of LLMs - 3rd August 2023
- Run Llama 2 on your own Mac using LLM and Homebrew - 1st August 2023