What are some ways to organize conferences at a very low cost?
28th March 2013
My answer to What are some ways to organize conferences at a very low cost? on Quora
Find a venue sponsor: venues are the biggest expense for most events, and if you can find a company with their own conference-suitable facilities who will provide the space for free you’ve just massively slashed the cost of the event. Most BarCamps (at least in London) work on this basis.
Get other sponsors to pay for as much as possible. Getting them to pay for things directly (e.g. they pay for the pizza delivery) can sometimes be simpler than having them give you money which you then spend on things.
Have speakers who are either from nearby or who have their travel expenses covered by their company—developer evangelists from larger companies for example. That way you won’t have to cover their costs.
Rely on volunteers for helping out with things like registration, AV setup, and the cleanup afterwards.
More recent articles
- Datasette Enrichments: a new plugin framework for augmenting your data - 1st December 2023
- llamafile is the new best way to run a LLM on your own computer - 29th November 2023
- Prompt injection explained, November 2023 edition - 27th November 2023
- I'm on the Newsroom Robots podcast, with thoughts on the OpenAI board - 25th November 2023
- Weeknotes: DevDay, GitHub Universe, OpenAI chaos - 22nd November 2023
- Deciphering clues in a news article to understand how it was reported - 22nd November 2023
- Exploring GPTs: ChatGPT in a trench coat? - 15th November 2023
- Financial sustainability for open source projects at GitHub Universe - 10th November 2023
- ospeak: a CLI tool for speaking text in the terminal via OpenAI - 7th November 2023
- DALL-E 3, GPT4All, PMTiles, sqlite-migrate, datasette-edit-schema - 30th October 2023