Why do academic conferences cost so much?
My answer to Why do academic conferences cost so much? on Quora
They’re usually a whole lot cheaper than industry conferences, where tickets can cost more than a thousand dollars.
Conferences are extremely expensive to run. Even a mid-sized venue can cost tens of thousands of dollars to book, and larger venues cost even more. Then there’s stuff like AV rental, food and coffee, security staff... and anything that is per attendee (drinks for example) ends up multiplied by several hundred people.
Very few academic conferences operate at a significant profit.
More recent articles
- Lawyer cites fake cases invented by ChatGPT, judge is not amused - 27th May 2023
- llm, ttok and strip-tags - CLI tools for working with ChatGPT and other LLMs - 18th May 2023
- Delimiters won't save you from prompt injection - 11th May 2023
- Weeknotes: sqlite-utils 3.31, download-esm, Python in a sandbox - 10th May 2023
- Leaked Google document: "We Have No Moat, And Neither Does OpenAI" - 4th May 2023
- Midjourney 5.1 - 4th May 2023
- Prompt injection explained, with video, slides, and a transcript - 2nd May 2023
- download-esm: a tool for downloading ECMAScript modules - 2nd May 2023
- Let's be bear or bunny - 1st May 2023
- Weeknotes: Miscellaneous research into Rye, ChatGPT Code Interpreter and openai-to-sqlite - 1st May 2023