Is there a substantial difference between using a Mac or a Windows machine for web development (particularly RoR)?
My answer to Is there a substantial difference between using a Mac or a Windows machine for web development (particularly RoR)? on Quora
No matter if you are on Mac or Windows you should be using a Linux virtual machine for development, ideally running the same operating system as you deployment environment (I like Ubuntu for this). Vagrant is a popular tool for managing this kind of setup.
That said, for web development you should be on a Mac, with Windows running in a virtual machine. You need the Mac in order to test in desktop Safari and use the iOS simulator to test in Mobile Safari on iPhone and iPad.
I don’t think it is possible to run OS X in a VM on Windows without using cracked versions of the installation disks, and you have no guarantees that technique you use will continue working for later OS versions.
More recent articles
- ChatGPT should include inline tips - 30th May 2023
- Lawyer cites fake cases invented by ChatGPT, judge is not amused - 27th May 2023
- llm, ttok and strip-tags - CLI tools for working with ChatGPT and other LLMs - 18th May 2023
- Delimiters won't save you from prompt injection - 11th May 2023
- Weeknotes: sqlite-utils 3.31, download-esm, Python in a sandbox - 10th May 2023
- Leaked Google document: "We Have No Moat, And Neither Does OpenAI" - 4th May 2023
- Midjourney 5.1 - 4th May 2023
- Prompt injection explained, with video, slides, and a transcript - 2nd May 2023
- download-esm: a tool for downloading ECMAScript modules - 2nd May 2023
- Let's be bear or bunny - 1st May 2023