What steps can I take to protect my data in case my laptop gets stolen?
7th August 2013
My answer to What steps can I take to protect my data in case my laptop gets stolen? on Quora
Set up full drive encryption—that way if someone steals your laptop they won’t be able to access your data without a password.
Keep the files you can’t afford to lose in Dropbox (if you are working on then on the road) so they are constantly backed up in case if theft. Your Dropbox folder will be safely encrypted along with the rest of your drive. You do need to trust Dropbox though.
More recent articles
- Weeknotes: datasette-enrichments, datasette-comments, sqlite-chronicle - 8th December 2023
- Datasette Enrichments: a new plugin framework for augmenting your data - 1st December 2023
- llamafile is the new best way to run a LLM on your own computer - 29th November 2023
- Prompt injection explained, November 2023 edition - 27th November 2023
- I'm on the Newsroom Robots podcast, with thoughts on the OpenAI board - 25th November 2023
- Weeknotes: DevDay, GitHub Universe, OpenAI chaos - 22nd November 2023
- Deciphering clues in a news article to understand how it was reported - 22nd November 2023
- Exploring GPTs: ChatGPT in a trench coat? - 15th November 2023
- Financial sustainability for open source projects at GitHub Universe - 10th November 2023
- ospeak: a CLI tool for speaking text in the terminal via OpenAI - 7th November 2023