What is a good onboarding process for a new employee at a startup?
My answer to What is a good onboarding process for a new employee at a startup? on Quora
Have them deploy the site on their first day. This ensures they know how to...
- Set up a working development environment
- Check code out of your repository
- Navigate the code base
- Make code changes
- Run tests
- Pass a code review (or at least get some peer review)
- QA their change beyond just the automated tests
- Deploy their change to production
If they do all of this on day one, they’ll come in on day two ready to start building and shipping production code.
This also means your team need to have a development/deployment environment that can be set up in less than a day, albeit with a little guidance. This is a very good thing.
If your infrastructure is good enough you can even do this with non-technical employees as well—let them edit the “about” page on your site to add themselves through the GitHub web editor and hit a “deploy” button in Jenkins or similar to deploy the site!
More recent articles
- Lawyer cites fake cases invented by ChatGPT, judge is not amused - 27th May 2023
- llm, ttok and strip-tags - CLI tools for working with ChatGPT and other LLMs - 18th May 2023
- Delimiters won't save you from prompt injection - 11th May 2023
- Weeknotes: sqlite-utils 3.31, download-esm, Python in a sandbox - 10th May 2023
- Leaked Google document: "We Have No Moat, And Neither Does OpenAI" - 4th May 2023
- Midjourney 5.1 - 4th May 2023
- Prompt injection explained, with video, slides, and a transcript - 2nd May 2023
- download-esm: a tool for downloading ECMAScript modules - 2nd May 2023
- Let's be bear or bunny - 1st May 2023
- Weeknotes: Miscellaneous research into Rye, ChatGPT Code Interpreter and openai-to-sqlite - 1st May 2023