How can I practice giving presentations / public speaking?
My answer to How can I practice giving presentations / public speaking? on Quora
Look out for opportunities to practice in front of a friendly audience. There are two event formats that are particularly good for this.
The first is lightning talks—these are five minute talk slots (usually assigned in a block as part of a larger conference in a “lightning talk” session) which are an ideal opportunity for new presenters. The five minute format forces you to get straight to the point and stay there (you’d be amazed at how fast five minutes goes) and the audience are likely to be very friendly—after all, if you lose their interest, they only have to wait a few minutes for the next speaker.
The second is a category of event: a BarCamp or Unconference. At BarCamps, every attendee is expected to give a talk. This means that EVERYONE at the BarCamp is a speaker, so there’s no division between speakers and attendees. It also means that there will certainly be other people giving talks for the first time, so the audience will be very forgiving of first-time nerves!
Many BarCamps also have a session for lightning talks (and if they don’t have one, you can always organise one yourself—that’s how BarCamps work).
We have a comprehensive list of upcoming BarCamps and Unconferences around the world on Lanyrd: http://lanyrd.com/topics/unconfe... and http://lanyrd.com/topics/barcamp/
More recent articles
- Weeknotes: Parquet in Datasette Lite, various talks, more LLM hacking - 4th June 2023
- It's infuriatingly hard to understand how closed models train on their input - 4th June 2023
- ChatGPT should include inline tips - 30th May 2023
- Lawyer cites fake cases invented by ChatGPT, judge is not amused - 27th May 2023
- llm, ttok and strip-tags - CLI tools for working with ChatGPT and other LLMs - 18th May 2023
- Delimiters won't save you from prompt injection - 11th May 2023
- Weeknotes: sqlite-utils 3.31, download-esm, Python in a sandbox - 10th May 2023
- Leaked Google document: "We Have No Moat, And Neither Does OpenAI" - 4th May 2023
- Midjourney 5.1 - 4th May 2023
- Prompt injection explained, with video, slides, and a transcript - 2nd May 2023