Play Framework, Django or Rails? Which one do you recommend for Social Networking Web applications.
14th January 2012
Both Rails and Django have been used for a large number of high profile social networking web applications. Off the top of my head, Django is used by Instagram and Pinterest, Rails is used by Posterous and Ravelry. I don’t know what the largest sites built using Play are at the moment.
The hard problems involved in building a social network are essentially framework-agnostic: things like scaling an activity feed and running queries against large social graphs are solved by smart application architecture, not built-in framework functionality. Whether you use Rails, Django or Play will have almost no effect on how you solve those larger architectural challenges.
Pick the one you are most comfortable working with and start worrying about your site’s functionality rather than its application framework.
More recent articles
- Weeknotes: Embeddings, more embeddings and Datasette Cloud - 17th September 2023
- Build an image search engine with llm-clip, chat with models with llm chat - 12th September 2023
- LLM now provides tools for working with embeddings - 4th September 2023
- Datasette 1.0a4 and 1.0a5, plus weeknotes - 30th August 2023
- Making Large Language Models work for you - 27th August 2023
- Datasette Cloud, Datasette 1.0a3, llm-mlc and more - 16th August 2023
- How I make annotated presentations - 6th August 2023
- Weeknotes: Plugins for LLM, sqlite-utils and Datasette - 5th August 2023
- Catching up on the weird world of LLMs - 3rd August 2023
- Run Llama 2 on your own Mac using LLM and Homebrew - 1st August 2023