What is the best way to debug a Django app?
16th January 2011
My answer to What is the best way to debug a Django app? on Quora
The Django Debug Toolbar is essential: http://robhudson.github.com/djan...
Personally I quite like droppping “import pdb; pdb.set_trace()” in to a view function, hitting refresh in my browser and then using the interactive PDB terminal to step through my code. The browser just hangs waiting for the page to load until I hit “c” for continue, at which point it finishes loading.
Here are some notes I made for a talk I gave about debugging Django back in 2008: http://simonwillison.net/2008/Ma...
More recent articles
- Weeknotes: Embeddings, more embeddings and Datasette Cloud - 17th September 2023
- Build an image search engine with llm-clip, chat with models with llm chat - 12th September 2023
- LLM now provides tools for working with embeddings - 4th September 2023
- Datasette 1.0a4 and 1.0a5, plus weeknotes - 30th August 2023
- Making Large Language Models work for you - 27th August 2023
- Datasette Cloud, Datasette 1.0a3, llm-mlc and more - 16th August 2023
- How I make annotated presentations - 6th August 2023
- Weeknotes: Plugins for LLM, sqlite-utils and Datasette - 5th August 2023
- Catching up on the weird world of LLMs - 3rd August 2023
- Run Llama 2 on your own Mac using LLM and Homebrew - 1st August 2023