Charles Miller, in Google, Microsoft and Tall Poppies.:
Bill Gates’ original goal in forming Microsoft was famously to have (emphasis mine) "A computer on every desk and in every home, running Microsoft software". You’ll not find the last three words of that sentence in any official Microsoft history (or at least I couldn’t, and I searched hard). They’ve been carefully un-happened: the dream of a nascent monopolist truncated into a facade of altruism.
- “desk and in every home” site:microsoft.com -“every home running”—167 results
- “desk and in every home running” site:microsoft.com—3 results, all from a Bill Gates speech at Stanford in 2002.
More recent articles
- Weeknotes: Parquet in Datasette Lite, various talks, more LLM hacking - 4th June 2023
- It's infuriatingly hard to understand how closed models train on their input - 4th June 2023
- ChatGPT should include inline tips - 30th May 2023
- Lawyer cites fake cases invented by ChatGPT, judge is not amused - 27th May 2023
- llm, ttok and strip-tags - CLI tools for working with ChatGPT and other LLMs - 18th May 2023
- Delimiters won't save you from prompt injection - 11th May 2023
- Weeknotes: sqlite-utils 3.31, download-esm, Python in a sandbox - 10th May 2023
- Leaked Google document: "We Have No Moat, And Neither Does OpenAI" - 4th May 2023
- Midjourney 5.1 - 4th May 2023
- Prompt injection explained, with video, slides, and a transcript - 2nd May 2023