Excite UK now powered by AllTheWeb
The Register: Tiscali to launch Excite across Europe. From Excite.co.uk:
We are back—and we have created the most complete search channel on the web for you. Take advantage of our collection of 2,100,000,000 web sites and the world’s largest man-made directory!
Sounds like Google and DMOZ doesn’t it? Sure enough, the directory pages carry a standard Open Directory footer. The only indication of what is powering the search engine is a Fast logo, which suggest that Excite UK have gone with AllTheWeb rather than Google for their back end.
More recent articles
- Weeknotes: Parquet in Datasette Lite, various talks, more LLM hacking - 4th June 2023
- It's infuriatingly hard to understand how closed models train on their input - 4th June 2023
- ChatGPT should include inline tips - 30th May 2023
- Lawyer cites fake cases invented by ChatGPT, judge is not amused - 27th May 2023
- llm, ttok and strip-tags - CLI tools for working with ChatGPT and other LLMs - 18th May 2023
- Delimiters won't save you from prompt injection - 11th May 2023
- Weeknotes: sqlite-utils 3.31, download-esm, Python in a sandbox - 10th May 2023
- Leaked Google document: "We Have No Moat, And Neither Does OpenAI" - 4th May 2023
- Midjourney 5.1 - 4th May 2023
- Prompt injection explained, with video, slides, and a transcript - 2nd May 2023