Are there any YC startups based around open source software?
5th March 2014
My answer to Are there any YC startups based around open source software? on Quora
There have been a few.
Meteor.js is the most obvious example (YCS11, fully open source, raised $11.2 million): Meteor Raises $11.2M Round Led by Andreessen Horowitz.
Reddit have released all of their source code though I’m pretty sure they did that long after they went through YC: reddit on GitHub
DotCloud (YCS10) have pivoted to focus on Docker, which is fully open source.
If you browse through the list on Y Combinator Company List you’ll certainly find some others.
More recent articles
- Prompt injection explained, November 2023 edition - 27th November 2023
- I'm on the Newsroom Robots podcast, with thoughts on the OpenAI board - 25th November 2023
- Weeknotes: DevDay, GitHub Universe, OpenAI chaos - 22nd November 2023
- Deciphering clues in a news article to understand how it was reported - 22nd November 2023
- Exploring GPTs: ChatGPT in a trench coat? - 15th November 2023
- Financial sustainability for open source projects at GitHub Universe - 10th November 2023
- ospeak: a CLI tool for speaking text in the terminal via OpenAI - 7th November 2023
- DALL-E 3, GPT4All, PMTiles, sqlite-migrate, datasette-edit-schema - 30th October 2023
- Now add a walrus: Prompt engineering in DALL-E 3 - 26th October 2023
- Execute Jina embeddings with a CLI using llm-embed-jina - 26th October 2023