Is it difficult to make a dating site? My budget is small. Any suggestion?
30th July 2013
My answer to Is it difficult to make a dating site? My budget is small. Any suggestion? on Quora
Yes, it’s hard. Technologically, dating sites are not that complicated. The difficulty is keeping them populated enough that they remain useful for your users.
Consider this: the better your dating site is, the more likely a user is to get in to a permanent relationship, leave your site and never come back.
The users that DO stick around for a long time are actually your worst users—because the reason they are still there is that they either have unattractive profiles or are bad dates (and hence never manage to form a relationship). This reduces the overall experience for everyone else.
Dating sites tend to need to spend a LOT of money acquiring new users through advertising, AdWords etc. if you don’t have a strong, differentiated plan for user acquisition there’s not much point building a dating site.
More recent articles
- Weeknotes: datasette-enrichments, datasette-comments, sqlite-chronicle - 8th December 2023
- Datasette Enrichments: a new plugin framework for augmenting your data - 1st December 2023
- llamafile is the new best way to run a LLM on your own computer - 29th November 2023
- Prompt injection explained, November 2023 edition - 27th November 2023
- I'm on the Newsroom Robots podcast, with thoughts on the OpenAI board - 25th November 2023
- Weeknotes: DevDay, GitHub Universe, OpenAI chaos - 22nd November 2023
- Deciphering clues in a news article to understand how it was reported - 22nd November 2023
- Exploring GPTs: ChatGPT in a trench coat? - 15th November 2023
- Financial sustainability for open source projects at GitHub Universe - 10th November 2023
- ospeak: a CLI tool for speaking text in the terminal via OpenAI - 7th November 2023