Does it still make sense to become a Java developer, or should I migrate to PHP or .NET?
30th January 2013
My answer to Does it still make sense to become a Java developer, or should I migrate to PHP or .NET? on Quora
Here’s a general piece of career advice: try to avoid thinking of yourself as a “Language X programmer”. Learning new languages is a great way of improving your skill as a programmer—learning Python will also have a big effect on how you program in C# or Java for example. The best programmers can pick up pretty much any language in a couple of weeks.
It’s also worth focusing on picking up related skills: SQL, HTML, unix administration, web security, network programming and version control for example. All of these are skills that will greatly enhance your career and help you land the most interesting development jobs.
More recent articles
- Weeknotes: Embeddings, more embeddings and Datasette Cloud - 17th September 2023
- Build an image search engine with llm-clip, chat with models with llm chat - 12th September 2023
- LLM now provides tools for working with embeddings - 4th September 2023
- Datasette 1.0a4 and 1.0a5, plus weeknotes - 30th August 2023
- Making Large Language Models work for you - 27th August 2023
- Datasette Cloud, Datasette 1.0a3, llm-mlc and more - 16th August 2023
- How I make annotated presentations - 6th August 2023
- Weeknotes: Plugins for LLM, sqlite-utils and Datasette - 5th August 2023
- Catching up on the weird world of LLMs - 3rd August 2023
- Run Llama 2 on your own Mac using LLM and Homebrew - 1st August 2023