How can I become a world-class coder in under three years?
5th August 2013
My answer to How can I become a world-class coder in under three years? on Quora
Write code. Lots of code. Code that does stuff.
Build your own blogging engine. Next, try to design and write the One True CMS (you’ll fail just like thousand of others have before you, but you’ll learn lots in the process).
Build your own todo list software. Now expand it to be your own email client. Extend it to support plugins. Now invent your own scripting language for writing plugins in, and write your own interpreter for it.
More recent articles
- Weeknotes: datasette-enrichments, datasette-comments, sqlite-chronicle - 8th December 2023
- Datasette Enrichments: a new plugin framework for augmenting your data - 1st December 2023
- llamafile is the new best way to run a LLM on your own computer - 29th November 2023
- Prompt injection explained, November 2023 edition - 27th November 2023
- I'm on the Newsroom Robots podcast, with thoughts on the OpenAI board - 25th November 2023
- Weeknotes: DevDay, GitHub Universe, OpenAI chaos - 22nd November 2023
- Deciphering clues in a news article to understand how it was reported - 22nd November 2023
- Exploring GPTs: ChatGPT in a trench coat? - 15th November 2023
- Financial sustainability for open source projects at GitHub Universe - 10th November 2023
- ospeak: a CLI tool for speaking text in the terminal via OpenAI - 7th November 2023