What are the top five items to pique interest in developers to join a startup?
22nd September 2012
My answer to What are the top five items to pique interest in developers to join a startup? on Quora
It’s all about shipping.
In larger organisations, it’s very easy to end up with a bunch of steps between you and actually shipping code. There are the people who decide what’s going to be built, the people they need buy-in from, the people who sign off on the budget for the work, the people who write the requirements, the people who review the requirements, the people who schedule the work, the people who decide which tools will be used for the work, the people who change their mind about how the thing should work half way through the work, the people who test the work and the people who actually get to deploy the work.
Some of those roles are shared, but it’s still a very complex environment to Get Stuff Done in.
Then there are the people who step in after 6 months and decide to cancel the entire project before it sees the light of day!
At a small startup, there’s hardly anything in between you having an idea, writing the code and shipping it to customers. Our startup has a “everyone ships on the first day” policy which ensures that new hires have the capability to ship to production within a few hours of us handing them their computer. For people who have previously worked in more bureaucratic organisations, this is a huge breath of fresh air.
More recent articles
- Weeknotes: Getting ready for NICAR - 27th February 2024
- The killer app of Gemini Pro 1.5 is video - 21st February 2024
- Weeknotes: a Datasette release, an LLM release and a bunch of new plugins - 9th February 2024
- LLM 0.13: The annotated release notes - 26th January 2024
- Weeknotes: datasette-test, datasette-build, PSF board retreat - 21st January 2024
- Talking about Open Source LLMs on Oxide and Friends - 17th January 2024
- Publish Python packages to PyPI with a python-lib cookiecutter template and GitHub Actions - 16th January 2024
- What I should have said about the term Artificial Intelligence - 9th January 2024
- Weeknotes: Page caching and custom templates for Datasette Cloud - 7th January 2024