Is it even possible to think of a new idea? Anything that I think of has either been done, or someone is doing it. How do you keep yourself motivated enough to pursue it?
8th October 2012
A lot of the time it’s not just about the idea, it’s also about timing. There are plenty of ideas which have failed in the past but could succeed if tried again today. A few things to consider:
- A few years ago there were no existing social graphs (Facebook, Twitter etc) for you to integrate with, so any product had to bootstrap their own graph from scratch. This is no longer the case.
- Mobile phones have only recently got to the point where large portions of the population have access to fast, always-on internet access.
- Building services that respond to phone calls and text messages used to be difficult and expensive. Thanks to Twilio they are now cheap and easy to develop.
New technologies and changes in society mean that there are always plenty of new ideas that couldn’t have worked before.
More recent articles
- Weeknotes: Embeddings, more embeddings and Datasette Cloud - 17th September 2023
- Build an image search engine with llm-clip, chat with models with llm chat - 12th September 2023
- LLM now provides tools for working with embeddings - 4th September 2023
- Datasette 1.0a4 and 1.0a5, plus weeknotes - 30th August 2023
- Making Large Language Models work for you - 27th August 2023
- Datasette Cloud, Datasette 1.0a3, llm-mlc and more - 16th August 2023
- How I make annotated presentations - 6th August 2023
- Weeknotes: Plugins for LLM, sqlite-utils and Datasette - 5th August 2023
- Catching up on the weird world of LLMs - 3rd August 2023
- Run Llama 2 on your own Mac using LLM and Homebrew - 1st August 2023