Do people still write and compile programs from the command line, instead of an IDE? Why or why not?
My answer to Do people still write and compile programs from the command line, instead of an IDE? Why or why not? on Quora
Being an expert with command line tools gives you super powers.
The beauty of command line interfaces is that anything you can do, you can automate. GUI tools have to go out of their way to enable task automation, and chances are it will be very difficult to automate anything that the tool author did not anticipate.
Programmers should look to automate anything that they do more than twice.
More recent articles
- ChatGPT should include inline tips - 30th May 2023
- Lawyer cites fake cases invented by ChatGPT, judge is not amused - 27th May 2023
- llm, ttok and strip-tags - CLI tools for working with ChatGPT and other LLMs - 18th May 2023
- Delimiters won't save you from prompt injection - 11th May 2023
- Weeknotes: sqlite-utils 3.31, download-esm, Python in a sandbox - 10th May 2023
- Leaked Google document: "We Have No Moat, And Neither Does OpenAI" - 4th May 2023
- Midjourney 5.1 - 4th May 2023
- Prompt injection explained, with video, slides, and a transcript - 2nd May 2023
- download-esm: a tool for downloading ECMAScript modules - 2nd May 2023
- Let's be bear or bunny - 1st May 2023