How important is my alma mater to Ycombinator?
3rd February 2012
My answer to How important is my alma mater to Ycombinator? on Quora
It’s really not that important—it might help a tiny bit to get to the interview, but if you look at the questions on the application form they are much more heavily skewed towards stuff that you have achieved and problems you have solved. The interview itself is almost all about your idea and your team.
Plenty of people who go through YC come from non-ivy-league schools—some haven’t been to university at all.
More recent articles
- Weeknotes: Embeddings, more embeddings and Datasette Cloud - 17th September 2023
- Build an image search engine with llm-clip, chat with models with llm chat - 12th September 2023
- LLM now provides tools for working with embeddings - 4th September 2023
- Datasette 1.0a4 and 1.0a5, plus weeknotes - 30th August 2023
- Making Large Language Models work for you - 27th August 2023
- Datasette Cloud, Datasette 1.0a3, llm-mlc and more - 16th August 2023
- How I make annotated presentations - 6th August 2023
- Weeknotes: Plugins for LLM, sqlite-utils and Datasette - 5th August 2023
- Catching up on the weird world of LLMs - 3rd August 2023
- Run Llama 2 on your own Mac using LLM and Homebrew - 1st August 2023