Which sites do a good job of guiding first time users?
23rd February 2012
My answer to Which sites do a good job of guiding first time users? on Quora
The Twitter sign up process is fascinating, and constantly evolves. I create a new Twitter account every six months or so just to see what their latest iteration looks like.
It’s interesting because Twitter is a particularly hard thing to explain to a new user—there are a lot of concepts to get your head around, and the natural reaction is “why is this useful to me”. The site just doesn’t make sense if you don’t start off using it with a good set of relevant followed accounts.
Here’s an interesting example flow: if you’re signed out of twitter and you visit someone’s profile page there, you’ll see a strong “sign up to get updates from person-name” call to action. If you start signing up there, Twitter will suggest accounts related to that person as additional things to follow.
More recent articles
- Weeknotes: Embeddings, more embeddings and Datasette Cloud - 17th September 2023
- Build an image search engine with llm-clip, chat with models with llm chat - 12th September 2023
- LLM now provides tools for working with embeddings - 4th September 2023
- Datasette 1.0a4 and 1.0a5, plus weeknotes - 30th August 2023
- Making Large Language Models work for you - 27th August 2023
- Datasette Cloud, Datasette 1.0a3, llm-mlc and more - 16th August 2023
- How I make annotated presentations - 6th August 2023
- Weeknotes: Plugins for LLM, sqlite-utils and Datasette - 5th August 2023
- Catching up on the weird world of LLMs - 3rd August 2023
- Run Llama 2 on your own Mac using LLM and Homebrew - 1st August 2023