Why does Twitter use a hashbang instead of using the History API?
19th February 2012
My answer to Why does Twitter use a hashbang instead of using the History API? on Quora
I asked a friend who is an engineer there about this a while ago. When they shipped the first version of Twitter that used fully Ajax driven pages there was a critical bug with pushState in a widely deployed version of Safari, which made it impractical to commit to.
More recent articles
- Weeknotes: Embeddings, more embeddings and Datasette Cloud - 17th September 2023
- Build an image search engine with llm-clip, chat with models with llm chat - 12th September 2023
- LLM now provides tools for working with embeddings - 4th September 2023
- Datasette 1.0a4 and 1.0a5, plus weeknotes - 30th August 2023
- Making Large Language Models work for you - 27th August 2023
- Datasette Cloud, Datasette 1.0a3, llm-mlc and more - 16th August 2023
- How I make annotated presentations - 6th August 2023
- Weeknotes: Plugins for LLM, sqlite-utils and Datasette - 5th August 2023
- Catching up on the weird world of LLMs - 3rd August 2023
- Run Llama 2 on your own Mac using LLM and Homebrew - 1st August 2023