Do country/city IP addresses always stay the same?
My answer to Do country/city IP addresses always stay the same? on Quora
Yes, they can change—and there isn’t much central control. IANA dish out IP blocks to regional authorities, who hand them on to ISPs,who distribute them to end users... But the ISPs might cover multiple cities or even countries. You can read a bit about this process here: http://www.iana.org/numbers
So there are no absolute guarantees that the geographical location of a given IP address won’t change, or that an IP address won’t be reassigned.
For this reason, there are companies that specialise in researching and collating information on IP addresses. Probable the most widely known is www.maxmind.com who offer a ppvarious commercial databases, depending on the level of detail you need (they have a free end which just does county level and is infrequently updated). They charge a site license and an optional subscription for ongoing updates.
More recent articles
- Weeknotes: Parquet in Datasette Lite, various talks, more LLM hacking - 4th June 2023
- It's infuriatingly hard to understand how closed models train on their input - 4th June 2023
- ChatGPT should include inline tips - 30th May 2023
- Lawyer cites fake cases invented by ChatGPT, judge is not amused - 27th May 2023
- llm, ttok and strip-tags - CLI tools for working with ChatGPT and other LLMs - 18th May 2023
- Delimiters won't save you from prompt injection - 11th May 2023
- Weeknotes: sqlite-utils 3.31, download-esm, Python in a sandbox - 10th May 2023
- Leaked Google document: "We Have No Moat, And Neither Does OpenAI" - 4th May 2023
- Midjourney 5.1 - 4th May 2023
- Prompt injection explained, with video, slides, and a transcript - 2nd May 2023