Is it a good idea for new start-up to outsource Software/App Development?
26th October 2010
My answer to Is it a good idea for new start-up to outsource Software/App Development? on Quora
It depends on what you mean by “outsourcing”.
If you’re doing a startup, never forget that the initial version of your software is just the start of the development process. It’s essential to continuously iterate on your software based on how your users are using it. You need a full-time development team.
If you’re asking if it’s OK to have your full-time development team based in another country, that could work but would make things a great deal more difficult due to the communication overhead. With a startup, just writing a spec and throwing it over the wall to be implemented by another team isn’t ideal for the reasons I’ve already outlined.
More recent articles
- Weeknotes: Getting ready for NICAR - 27th February 2024
- The killer app of Gemini Pro 1.5 is video - 21st February 2024
- Weeknotes: a Datasette release, an LLM release and a bunch of new plugins - 9th February 2024
- LLM 0.13: The annotated release notes - 26th January 2024
- Weeknotes: datasette-test, datasette-build, PSF board retreat - 21st January 2024
- Talking about Open Source LLMs on Oxide and Friends - 17th January 2024
- Publish Python packages to PyPI with a python-lib cookiecutter template and GitHub Actions - 16th January 2024
- What I should have said about the term Artificial Intelligence - 9th January 2024
- Weeknotes: Page caching and custom templates for Datasette Cloud - 7th January 2024