What are some tips for moderating a panel?
My answer to What are some tips for moderating a panel? on Quora
It’s a very hard thing to do well.
Here are a few tips:
1. Your job is to keep things moving and make the panel members shine. Be sure not to hog the limelight.
2. A panel where everyone agrees on everything is a very boring panel. Take the panelists out for dinner the night before, discuss the issues and make sure you find points where people disagree—then bring those up in the panel proper. Make sure your panelists know you are doing this.
3. Have a set of questions prepared, but be ready to ad-lib should a particularly interesting line of discussion emerge.
4. It’s your job to control the audience Q&A. Be brutal! Force questioners to get to the point, and cut off anyone who says “I don’t have a question, it’s more of a comment...”. The audience will thank you for it.
More recent articles
- Weeknotes: Parquet in Datasette Lite, various talks, more LLM hacking - 4th June 2023
- It's infuriatingly hard to understand how closed models train on their input - 4th June 2023
- ChatGPT should include inline tips - 30th May 2023
- Lawyer cites fake cases invented by ChatGPT, judge is not amused - 27th May 2023
- llm, ttok and strip-tags - CLI tools for working with ChatGPT and other LLMs - 18th May 2023
- Delimiters won't save you from prompt injection - 11th May 2023
- Weeknotes: sqlite-utils 3.31, download-esm, Python in a sandbox - 10th May 2023
- Leaked Google document: "We Have No Moat, And Neither Does OpenAI" - 4th May 2023
- Midjourney 5.1 - 4th May 2023
- Prompt injection explained, with video, slides, and a transcript - 2nd May 2023