Leo Hickman on the carbon cost of Googling. Alex Wissner-Gross (who published the 7g/search figures) appears to be including Google’s extra capacity, so total CO2 output divided by number of searches. Google’s 0.2g/search estimate includes just the energy used by the servers processing your query.
- Weeknotes: Embeddings, more embeddings and Datasette Cloud - 17th September 2023
- Build an image search engine with llm-clip, chat with models with llm chat - 12th September 2023
- LLM now provides tools for working with embeddings - 4th September 2023
- Datasette 1.0a4 and 1.0a5, plus weeknotes - 30th August 2023
- Making Large Language Models work for you - 27th August 2023
- Datasette Cloud, Datasette 1.0a3, llm-mlc and more - 16th August 2023