Items tagged weeknotes in 2020
I’ve been working on some fundamental changes to Datasette’s internal workings—they’re not quite ready for a release yet, but they’re shaping up in an interesting direction.[... 760 words]
[... 1391 words]
This week I launched datasette.io—the new official project website for Datasette.[... 1956 words]
This week: Improvements to
datasette-graphql, plus Datasette 0.52 and a flurry of dot-releases.
[... 1362 words]
Last week’s weeknotes took the form of my Personal Data Warehouses: Reclaiming Your Data talk write-up, which represented most of what I got done that week. This week I mainly worked on datasette-indieauth, but I also gave a keynote at PyCon Argentina and released a version of datasette-graphql with a small security fix.[... 718 words]
I gave a talk yesterday about personal data warehouses for GitHub’s OCTO Speaker Series, focusing on my Datasette and Dogsheep projects. The video of the talk is now available, and I’m presenting that here along with an annotated summary of the talk, including links to demos and further information.[... 5150 words]
Natalie and I decided to escape San Francisco for election week, and have been holed up in Fort Bragg on the Northern California coast. I’ve mostly been on vacation, but I did find time to make some significant changes to sqlite-utils. Plus notes on an exciting Git scraping project.[... 603 words]
I shipped Datasette 0.51 today, with a new visual design, plugin hooks for adding navigation options, better handling of binary data, URL building utility methods and better support for running Datasette behind a proxy. It’s a lot of stuff! Here are the annotated release notes.[... 2020 words]
I’ve been writing my talk for PyCon Argentina this week, which has proved surprisingly time consuming. I hope to have that wrapped up soon—I’m pre-recording it, which it turns out is much more work than preparing a talk to stream live.[... 630 words]
This week I built
evernote-to-sqlite (see Building an Evernote to SQLite exporter), launched the Datasette Weekly newsletter, worked on some scrapers and pushed out some small improvements to several other projects.
Most of what I’ve been up to this week is covered in Datasette 0.50: The annotated release notes and Git scraping: track changes over time by scraping to a Git repository.[... 196 words]
A renewed emphasis on building out Datasette Cloud has produced three new plugins this week: datasette-dateutil, datasette-import-table and datasette-edit-schema, plus a major improvement to Datasette’s default interface for browsing tables.[... 1093 words]
This week I completed the Software Carpentry instructor training course, added two foundational features to
sqlite-utils and learned how to compile modules for SQLite.
This week I released Datasette 0.49 and tinkered with datasette-seaborn, dogsheep-beta and polling data from FiveThirtyEight.[... 951 words]
I spent some time this week digging into Python’s sqlite3 internals. I also gave two talks and recorded a third, due to air at PyGotham in October.[... 928 words]
This week I figured out how to populate Datasette from Airtable, wrote code to generate social media preview card page screenshots using Puppeteer, and made a big breakthrough with my Dogsheep project.[... 1461 words]
This week I helped Natalie launch Rocky Beaches, shipped Datasette 0.48 and several releases of
datasette-graphql, upgraded the CSRF protection for
datasette-upload-csvs and figured out how to get a commit log of changes to my blog by backing up its database to a GitHub repository.
This week I’ve been working on making Datasette easier to install, plus wide-ranging improvements to the Datasette GraphQL plugin.[... 1009 words]
This week I’ve mostly been building datasette-graphql, a plugin that adds GraphQL query support to Datasette.[... 1249 words]
This week I’ve been mainly experimenting with binary data storage in SQLite. sqlite-utils can now insert data from binary files, and datasette-media can serve content over HTTP that originated as binary BLOBs in a database file.[... 947 words]
Two new Datasette plugins this week: datasette-copyable, helping users copy-and-paste data from Datasette into other places, and datasette-insert-api, providing a JSON API for inserting and updating data and creating tables.[... 953 words]
All sorts of project updates this week.[... 913 words]
This week I’ve mainly been exploring Small Business Administration Covid-19 loans data, pitching some talks and upgrading some plugins for compatibility with Datasette 0.44+.[... 524 words]
Datasette 0.45, out today, features magic parameters for canned queries, a log out feature, improved plugin documentation and four new plugin hooks.[... 863 words]
I spent this week spreading myself between a bunch of smaller projects, and finally getting familiar with cookiecutter. I wrote about my datasette-plugin cookiecutter template earlier in the week; here’s what else I’ve been working on.[... 703 words]
A relatively quiet week this week, compared to last week’s massive push to ship Datasette 0.44 with authentication, permissions and writable canned queries. I can now ship alpha releases, such as today’s Datasette 0.45a1, which means I can preview new plugin features before they are completely ready and stable.[... 728 words]
I just released Datasette 0.44 to PyPI. With 128 commits since 0.43 this is the biggest release in a long time—and likely the last major release of new features before Datasette 1.0.[... 1648 words]
What a week. Hard to work up the enthusiasm to write about what I’ve been working on.[... 314 words]
My main achievement this week was shipping Datasette 0.43, with a collection of smaller improvements and one big one: a redesign of the
register_output_renderer plugin hook.